March 3, 2010

Tomato Seedlings Update

The tomato seeds I planted in the large Jiffy pellets took about ten days to start sprouting.  I've been moving them within a day or two of sprouting into plastic cups just because the large peat pellets are too tall to grow much in the plastic sprouting house.

On the other hand, none of my peppers have sprouted so far, and I planted them on 2/11 - so three weeks ago.  They really need 70 to 80 degree temperatures to sprout (and it's been colder than that in the house), so I've tried resting them on a heating pad (lowest setting) and a towel to try to warm them up.  If that doesn't work and they've rotted, I'll re-plant in a couple of weeks.

I will actually plant these in soil eventually, but for now it's just a pellet in a cup because I haven't gotten around to getting out the garden mix!




My heating pad experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment