October 28, 2010

End of the Season Harvest

We may have our first freeze tonight, so I got with it and harvested almost everything that was left in the garden.  I did leave one habanero and one pepper plant in case it doesn't freeze because of course it's going to warm up after tonight, and I thought I'd take chance it with a handful of stuff in the event that I can eeck out a bit more of that vine-ripened flavor!


Peppers galore and a handful of tomatoes 

I've read mixed reviews about pulling the entire pepper plant and letting it ripen inside.  I don't have high expectations, but I thought I'd give it a whirl.  Peppers will continue to ripen even off the plant and in the collander, so if nothing else, pulling the whole plant makes it easier to hang on a rack and ensure better air circulation while they do their thing.

I'm preserving many of these by freezing, drying, pickling, and some other stuff.  I thought I'd share and take a few to work to give away, too, begrudingly...?

Here's the habanero plant I pulled.



Incidentally, the Jiffy pellet in which I started the seed held up well and proudly displayed itself when I pulled the plant up roots and all...


Jiffy pellet - "Hello again!"


No comments:

Post a Comment