October 28, 2010

Peppers!

I haven't posted in a while, but I have been taking pictures!  So...  I'm going to see if I can start getting caught up now that's it's cooling off (we may have our first freeze tonight!), and I'm getting things wrapped up with the garden for this season.

Here are some of the beautiful, delicious peppers I've been harvesting.


These haven't been washed yet, so they have some water spots on them.  Pictured here are Costa Rican Sweet (red, upper left), Pablano (green, upper right), and Habanero (orange, lower right).  There are also a handful of tomatoes - Roma (long) and Sun Gold (cherry).

All of these were started from seed from Burpee except for the Romas which were leftover from last year's Wal-Mart seeds (which are just fine too, Burpee just has some unique varieties).


Costa Rican Sweet pepper

Costa Rican Sweet peppers make a good substitue for bell peppers.  This was the first year I grew them, and I was really happy with the production levels.  I got many more peppers than the bells I've grown in the past.  The flavor isn't particularly distinctive, but they're good when you want a sweet pepper, and a bit of char helps bring out the flavor.


Pablono pepper with a handful of Sun Gold tomatoes

Pablanos have become my standout favorite this year!  They have a distinctive, almost pungent flavor and more heat when they are green (my preference) than when they are red (also good but sweeter).  They are fantastic in omlettes!


Habanero peppers

Habaneros are known for their smoky flavor, but frankly I'm not sure my palette is discriminating enough to detect this - I mainly find them hot!  But good hot!  According to Burpee, the habanero is 100 times hotter than a jalapeno, so be careful when handling.  The habs in the upper portion of this picture have been sitting in my collander for a few days and have ripened more developing a deeper orange hue.  The lower ones were just picked tonight (to escape the freeze) and still have some green on them.

All of these have been super easy to grow here in Lubbock.  Stick 'em in the ground, and just add water.

Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment