November 7, 2010

Date with My City: Museum of Texas Tech University, Rembrandt Etchings

So since my New York trip, I've been thinking a lot about how I don't take advantage of all the things there are to do right here in Lubbock, and I decided to do something about it.  I'm making an effort (so it will become a habit!) to get out of the house and my normal routine and get a life!  Whether it's coffee, Vogue magazine, and people watching at Barnes & Noble or the First Friday Art Trail or who-knows-what next, I'm there!

Debbi and I decided Friday night (after the FFAT) to flush out the idea, and we're going to do some "Date with My City" journal swapping.  For the rest of you, here are some pictures!

(By the way, the First Friday Art Trail is wonderful!  Debbi and I enjoyed all variety of art and music while tooling around the Depot District on Friday evening.  We even rode the trolley!  I didn't have my camera, so sorry, no pics.)

Today I went to the Museum of Texas Tech University.  It's a beautiful museum, and it's sad to say that in the twelve years I've lived here, I'd never been before.  They are currently exhibiting a collection of Rembrandt etchings which I saw today along with an afternoon showing of the movie Rembrandt.

(Admission and parking are free!)

Self portrait detail from one of the etchings



Various etchings on displsay






This next one's kind of funny...

Making water?  I guess that's one way of putting it!




The expression on this man's face made me so sad....




Waiting for the movie to start...

In the scultpture court outside the Helen DeVitt Jones Auditorium


There is currently an exhibit of vintage toys.




The museum has a nice display of the megafauna as well as details about what types of fossils have been found in our area!


Hmm.  Horns for "display and defense."  That's kind of how I feel about my gun!



Would Worth love this... or be terrified?!

Art outside of the museum...



I don't know what this is, but it reminds me of Easter Island!


Sculpture with the Moody Planetarium in the background.
(Tickets for planetarium and laser shows are only $2!)

No comments:

Post a Comment